Planet Meddus

Meddus. The creation of the Mother herself. Welcome to our world.
 
HomeFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 World news 1

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Morgue
Drone
Drone


Posts : 213
Join date : 2009-09-15
Age : 29

PostSubject: Re: World news 1   Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:53 am

Ten wrote:
I like the petal idea for currency, but then... Petals are easily acquired if you go looking for the right flowers, right? o_o Wouldn't place much value on them.

On religion: Well, we've established that there's the possibility of inhabitants viewing the tree as the source of all life. Maybe there's the thought of the subterranean species coming from the roots, the fliers from the branches, and everyone else from the trunk. This may or may not play a religious role, or perhaps more spiritual--as in, it's believed, but there's no guiding doctrine for it.

It's the idea really, these days a pound isn't actually worth anything. Originally a pound equaled it's weight in gold, i believe thats where it was derived from anyway. It's now just a symbol. I'm not sugestive we use actual petals, they could be coloured pieces of bark or paper(possibly shaped like petals) it's mostly what they stand for.

I also really love that idea with the tree, it actually really works when you think about it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://morgue-macabre.deviantart.com/
Ten
Drone
Drone
avatar

Posts : 259
Join date : 2009-09-14
Age : 30
Location : Behind you

PostSubject: Re: World news 1   Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:07 am

Hm... Maybe the "petals" are a certain blend of spider silk and silkworm threading dyed a certain colour to denote value? With something else woven in to make it difficult to duplicate... And only a select group would know how to produce it. I'm not sure, this is just me running off the idea of the American mint, but... It would make the currency distinctive and difficult to produce... I'm not sure.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Morgue
Drone
Drone


Posts : 213
Join date : 2009-09-15
Age : 29

PostSubject: Re: World news 1   Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:14 am

perhaps the dye it's self is specially mixed by the mint so it can't be replicated? Perhaps something that makes it shimmer.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://morgue-macabre.deviantart.com/
Ten
Drone
Drone
avatar

Posts : 259
Join date : 2009-09-14
Age : 30
Location : Behind you

PostSubject: Re: World news 1   Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:19 am

That'd also be easier to hide/keep secret than a certain silk composition. XD
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Morgue
Drone
Drone


Posts : 213
Join date : 2009-09-15
Age : 29

PostSubject: Re: World news 1   Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:23 am

thats pretty much what i thought, there are lot of minerals that can produce that iridescent shimmer, it'd be hard to reproduce the exact same mix.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://morgue-macabre.deviantart.com/
Zarashi
Soldier
Soldier
avatar

Posts : 532
Join date : 2009-09-17
Age : 24
Location : On your screen. BOO!

PostSubject: Re: World news 1   Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:27 am

Morgue wrote:
thats pretty much what i thought, there are lot of minerals that can produce that iridescent shimmer, it'd be hard to reproduce the exact same mix.

Well if there's a lot of minerals that can produce the exact colors, how are you gunna be able to tell each counterfeit petal from a real one? Give everyone some kinda chemical?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://zarashi-desune-katze.deviantart.com/
Morgue
Drone
Drone


Posts : 213
Join date : 2009-09-15
Age : 29

PostSubject: Re: World news 1   Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:32 am

Zarashi wrote:
Morgue wrote:
thats pretty much what i thought, there are lot of minerals that can produce that iridescent shimmer, it'd be hard to reproduce the exact same mix.

Well if there's a lot of minerals that can produce the exact colors, how are you gunna be able to tell each counterfeit petal from a real one? Give everyone some kinda chemical?

No not colour, the shimmer. Alot of minerals when ground down can produce a shimmer, however a special mix of a selection would be hard to copy, there are thousands of cominations, so without know what minerals to use or the amounts needed it qould be near impossible to replicate.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://morgue-macabre.deviantart.com/
Ten
Drone
Drone
avatar

Posts : 259
Join date : 2009-09-14
Age : 30
Location : Behind you

PostSubject: Re: World news 1   Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:36 am

Zarashi wrote:
Well if there's a lot of minerals that can produce the exact colors, how are you gunna be able to tell each counterfeit petal from a real one? Give everyone some kinda chemical?

And the idea might be to keep the colours as dyes, too. And the amount of dye is important, on top of the correct mineral combination. With just a small group, like those in charge of printing money in the real world, knowing what those combinations are, it'd take a lot of effort to figure out just how to produce counterfeit petals.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Morgue
Drone
Drone


Posts : 213
Join date : 2009-09-15
Age : 29

PostSubject: Re: World news 1   Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:42 am

Ten wrote:
Zarashi wrote:
Well if there's a lot of minerals that can produce the exact colors, how are you gunna be able to tell each counterfeit petal from a real one? Give everyone some kinda chemical?

And the idea might be to keep the colours as dyes, too. And the amount of dye is important, on top of the correct mineral combination. With just a small group, like those in charge of printing money in the real world, knowing what those combinations are, it'd take a lot of effort to figure out just how to produce counterfeit petals.

exactly, although money in the real world in counterfieted, it's often actually not worth it, all the time and money spent itno reasearching the combination of dyes, materials and the images themselves cost much more than you gain. No matter what in any world there will always be someone who works it all out and counterfits, it doesn't matter how full proof we get at designing the currency....besides taht could make for an intresting story line. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://morgue-macabre.deviantart.com/
Zarashi
Soldier
Soldier
avatar

Posts : 532
Join date : 2009-09-17
Age : 24
Location : On your screen. BOO!

PostSubject: Re: World news 1   Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:50 am

Morgue wrote:
exactly, although money in the real world in counterfieted, it's often actually not worth it, all the time and money spent itno reasearching the combination of dyes, materials and the images themselves cost much more than you gain. No matter what in any world there will always be someone who works it all out and counterfits, it doesn't matter how full proof we get at designing the currency....besides taht could make for an intresting story line. Very Happy

Well the reason people can tell if the money in the US is counterfeit is two ways. One, they put money to a bright light and look for a hidden code the mint puts in the dollar bills. Two, every dollar bill has it's own code and if you find money all with the same codes printed on them, they are counterfeit. If someone actually does make counterfeit pedals, what are we gunna do to find out the pedals are counterfeit?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://zarashi-desune-katze.deviantart.com/
Ten
Drone
Drone
avatar

Posts : 259
Join date : 2009-09-14
Age : 30
Location : Behind you

PostSubject: Re: World news 1   Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:02 am

Yes, but when you consider that the mineral and dye ratios are very specific, that on its own functions as a code. You could hold it up to the light and see what colours come out in the shimmer, or how it works into the dye and silk, and even the silk composition (if we continue to use a specific silk blend as the material base). I'm not sure how high we're expecting the technology to be, but that would determine what fail-safes might be used. In more, for lack of a better word, primitive regions, this would be plenty complicated and there probably wouldn't be any means to replicate the petals.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zarashi
Soldier
Soldier
avatar

Posts : 532
Join date : 2009-09-17
Age : 24
Location : On your screen. BOO!

PostSubject: Re: World news 1   Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:16 am

Well, I'm not really sure on what kinda fail safe could be used on the petals either. And like Morgue said earlier, it would make a good storyline arc once we go get this thing rolling.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://zarashi-desune-katze.deviantart.com/
Ten
Drone
Drone
avatar

Posts : 259
Join date : 2009-09-14
Age : 30
Location : Behind you

PostSubject: Re: World news 1   Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:20 am

Mmhm~ And tech will make a huge difference in any direction. It's a pretty thin idea right now, but we can all keep poking and tweaking it as we figure things out about Meddus.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zarashi
Soldier
Soldier
avatar

Posts : 532
Join date : 2009-09-17
Age : 24
Location : On your screen. BOO!

PostSubject: Re: World news 1   Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:22 am

Alrighty, right now though, I'm gunna try to finish Ji'Luuka's profile before tonight ends. After that I gotta try and figure out where he lives. I know it's gunna be some kina of web covered cave, and btw, does anyone have any suggestions for what type of spider he should be? He's my avi.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://zarashi-desune-katze.deviantart.com/
Morgue
Drone
Drone


Posts : 213
Join date : 2009-09-15
Age : 29

PostSubject: Re: World news 1   Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:23 am

thing is Meedus is gonna evolve as we roleplay, like a real world it's gonna change as plots change. Though they maybe at medevil technology now, in a years time things might have moved on to a steam punk type era where their starting to invent things to improve like ect.

I'd say bird eating spider.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://morgue-macabre.deviantart.com/
Zarashi
Soldier
Soldier
avatar

Posts : 532
Join date : 2009-09-17
Age : 24
Location : On your screen. BOO!

PostSubject: Re: World news 1   Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:58 am

Hmm.. I've got hobo spider, brown recluse, and bird eating spider.. What too choose.. What to choose?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://zarashi-desune-katze.deviantart.com/
Morgue
Drone
Drone


Posts : 213
Join date : 2009-09-15
Age : 29

PostSubject: Re: World news 1   Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:14 am

*sueals happily* Okay i have to show this off XD, it's a close up of Rosemary my False Widow....I adore those lips and eyes...they look like little gems XD

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://morgue-macabre.deviantart.com/
Zarashi
Soldier
Soldier
avatar

Posts : 532
Join date : 2009-09-17
Age : 24
Location : On your screen. BOO!

PostSubject: Re: World news 1   Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:24 am

Nice! x3 Ji'Luuka'd love 'em. x3
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://zarashi-desune-katze.deviantart.com/
Ten
Drone
Drone
avatar

Posts : 259
Join date : 2009-09-14
Age : 30
Location : Behind you

PostSubject: Re: World news 1   Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:30 am

Yes, but starting technology is going to be what we build up from. XD

...Speaking of Spiders, I need to figure out what to name my spider...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Morgue
Drone
Drone


Posts : 213
Join date : 2009-09-15
Age : 29

PostSubject: Re: World news 1   Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:36 am

Ten wrote:
Yes, but starting technology is going to be what we build up from. XD

...Speaking of Spiders, I need to figure out what to name my spider...

I named mine after the song that was playing, the same with her mate.

since it's a line that was playing in Scarborough Fair.

Parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://morgue-macabre.deviantart.com/
Zarashi
Soldier
Soldier
avatar

Posts : 532
Join date : 2009-09-17
Age : 24
Location : On your screen. BOO!

PostSubject: Re: World news 1   Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:38 am

I can help with names if ya like, I'm chalk full of names for characters. x3
And I posted Ji'Luuka's profile, tell me what ya think! :3
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://zarashi-desune-katze.deviantart.com/
Morgue
Drone
Drone


Posts : 213
Join date : 2009-09-15
Age : 29

PostSubject: Re: World news 1   Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:47 am

Oh poor Rosemary might end up being pestured by him. XD

Oh well he can't have her, she's married. Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://morgue-macabre.deviantart.com/
Zarashi
Soldier
Soldier
avatar

Posts : 532
Join date : 2009-09-17
Age : 24
Location : On your screen. BOO!

PostSubject: Re: World news 1   Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:57 am

Morgue wrote:
Oh poor Rosemary might end up being pestured by him. XD Oh well he can't have her, she's married. Razz
Oh don't worry, he rarely comes out of his cage, so he'll only bother her if she finds him first. xD
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://zarashi-desune-katze.deviantart.com/
Peanutchan
Queen
Queen
avatar

Posts : 1041
Join date : 2009-09-14
Age : 30
Location : In your minds!

PostSubject: Re: World news 1   Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:20 pm

As much as I would love to respond to everyone's comments individually. You guys totally knock me over with the FIVE new pages today. Dammit. You guys were talkative while I was droolin over cowboys!

So just to make long posts short I'll try to summarize my thoughts of all comments into this post.

1. Currency
I do like the Credstick idea for the more advanced places and trade of goods for the down right primitive ones. If we did use a Coin or currency made out of metals/minerals... it would be a "new" metal. not something that actually exists so that it would be the only thing made out of that material, so worth would be constant. Also the idea of one area alone producing it and then distributing it to everywhere else would help remove counter fitting. Since you can only get that metal/mineral from one place, which would obviously be under heavy security if not made off limits to everyone but certain nominated/hand picked people. Kind of like a Mint. I'd say either one area of ants. Since they are so meticulous. (yes some races should be driven by the actual animals behavior) Or possibly Termites. Deep ground dwellers. And so far termites in my head are one of the primitive races... but still a world power. Cuz a colony is far more like to work in sink than a town. Specially if they are run by a Queen. (not exactly like actual bugs since real queens don't do squat but breed) So she and her colony would only trade the metal/mineral to the other kingdoms for things. And then that would be turned into coins/strips/bars or whatever for each place. Thus having money that looks different but still worth the same. Plus can also have the fun of said queen getting pissed for one reason or another and cutting off the other races to said metal/mineral till she gets her way. X3

2. Mother Tree/Mothercity.
You guys are thinking the tree is WAY smaller than what I envisioned it. this sucker is huge. HUGE! I'm not talkin Tree of Might huge. (hehe... DBZ reference) But think like... A full grown Banyan Tree to an actual ant. Think bigger my dears. I envisioned multiple towns and villages through out the tree as one City. External and internal. Inside the tree, on the tree, around the tree, and under the tree. There will be an underground map system made for the whole planet as well. Promise. Can't leave out the underlings!
Also if thought as their beginning then it would be viewed differently by each race depending on the type due to the source of that race. Race's with old blood queens would obviously view the tree as sacred. that they first evolved from creatures birthed from that tree. New king/Queen races may see it differently as more of a spiritual thing than actual fact. So it would be important as a representation of ideas or believes than anything. then you have races that do not have a 'source' queen or even a ruling party at all. They may still view the tree in a sacred way for different reasons. Then you can also have the parties of all races who see it as nothing more than a big plant. because some places that have an Old Queen view her as a feral creature that needs to be forgotten or rid of. An inferior being. As some Old blood queens do have simple mentalities like the actual insect counter parts. Like modern man views Neanderthals.

3. Races
Choosing a kind of insect/arachnid you want is only for showing what that creature was based off of. As we want to be realistic but still fantasy. So all spiders are still Arachin. Just because I call Ben a Raft Spider does not mean he is a different race than Loment the Golden Orb Spider. They are both Arachins. Just different kinds.
I just wanted people to make characters based on real animals so that it is realistic in some ways. So we can have say a Luna moth but you want it to have Zebra Swallowtail markings and Monarch colors. Well it isn't a Hybrid! Its just a Lepidoran. Cross race offspring are still considered whatever their mothers race or which ever parent it most resembles. Even if the father is a Hyme and the mother is a Rhoparan. However, if we do eventually want to explore the route of 'hybrid children' that will have to be farther down the line once we have established more of this world. So you don't have to mention the insect or arachnid except to show the reference you used. Also no really totally unnatural looking babies okay. Keep some things as real as possible. Thats why we use actual bugs for these. And before someone calls me on Loment the big GAY pink and purple spider I will be revealing what the hell is up with him and his little band in his profile. PROMISE!

Any questions?


Last edited by Peanutchan on Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:05 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://meddus.forumotion.net
jackoman
Royal Consort
Royal Consort
avatar

Posts : 379
Join date : 2009-09-14
Age : 30
Location : Obviously at a Computer (CODE MONKEY)

PostSubject: Re: World news 1   Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:23 pm

Peanutchan wrote:
As much as I would love to respond to everyone's comments individually. You guys totally knock me over with the FIVE new pages today. Dammit. You guys were talkative while I was droolin over cowboys!

So just to make long posts short I'll try to summarize my thoughts of all comments into this post.

1. Currency
I do like the Credstick idea for the more advanced places and trade of goods for the down right primitive ones. If we did use a Coin or currency made out of metals/minerals... it would be a "new" metal. not something that actually exists so that it would be the only thing made out of that material, so worth would be constant. Also the idea of one area alone producing it and then distributing it to everywhere else would help remove counter fitting. Since you can only get that metal/mineral from one place, which would obviously be under heavy security if not made off limits to everyone but certain nominated/hand picked people. Kind of like a Mint. I'd say either one area of ants. Since they are so meticulous. (yes some races should be driven by the actual animals behavior) Or possibly Termites. Deep ground dwellers. And so far termites in my head are one of the primitive races... but still a world power. Cuz a colony is far more like to work in sink than a town. Specially if they are run by a Queen. (not exactly like actual bugs since real queens don't do squat but breed) So she and her colony would only trade the metal/mineral to the other kingdoms for things. And then that would be turned into coins/strips/bars or whatever for each place. Thus having money that looks different but still worth the same. Plus can also have the fun of said queen getting pissed for one reason or another and cutting off the other races to said metal/mineral till she gets her way. X3

2. Mother Tree/Mothercity.
You guys are thinking the tree is WAY smaller than what I envisioned it. this sucker is huge. HUGE! I'm not talkin Tree of Might huge. (hehe... DBZ reference) But think like... A full grown Banyan Tree to an actual ant. Think bigger my dears. I envisioned multiple towns and villages through out the tree as one City. External and internal. Inside the tree, on the tree, around the tree, and under the tree. There will be an underground map system made for the whole planet as well. Promise. Can't leave out the underlings!
Also if thought as their beginning then it would be viewed differently by each race depending on the type due to the source of that race. Race's with old blood queens would obviously view the tree as sacred. that they first evolved from creatures birthed from that tree. New king/Queen races may see it differently as more of a spiritual thing than actual fact. So it would be important as a representation of ideas or believes than anything. then you have races that do not have a 'source' queen or even a ruling party at all. They may still view the tree in a sacred way for different reasons. Then you can also have the parties of all races who see it as nothing more than a big plant. because some places that have an Old Queen view her as a feral creature that needs to be forgotten or rid of. An inferior being. As some Old blood queens do have simple mentalities like the actual insect counter parts.

3. Races
Choosing a kind of insect/arachnid you want is only for showing what that creature was based off of. As we want to be realistic but still fantasy. So all spiders are still Arachin. Just because I call Ben a Raft Spider does not mean he is a different race than Loment. They are both Arachins. Just different kinds.
I just wanted people to make characters based on real animals so that it is realistic in some ways. So we can have say a Luna moth but you want it to have Zebra Swallowtail markings and Monarch colors. Well it isn't a Hybrid! Its just a Lepidoran. Cross race offspring are still considered whatever their mothers race or which ever parent it most resembles. Even if the father is a Hyme and the mother is a Rhoparan. However, if we do eventually want to explore the route of 'hybrid children' that will have to be farther down the line once we have established more of this world. So you don't have to mention the insect or arachnid except to show the reference you used. Also no really totally unnatural looking babies okay. Keep some things as real as possible. Thats why we use actual bugs for these. And before someone calls me on Loment the big GAY pink and purple spider I will be revealing what the hell is up with him and his little band in his profile. PROMISE!

-Claps loudly- Good answer! Woo! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: World news 1   

Back to top Go down
 
World news 1
Back to top 
Page 5 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Planet Meddus :: Listen through the door... :: World :: News-
Jump to: